Tuesday, August 10, 2010

DATELINE: Hong Kong, China 

(Click map for more useful detail)

Author: Lauren Cohen

Last stop on the grand tour (sigh). The bus ride was uneventful and fortuitously dropped us off in Kowloon, right near the Metro and only 4 stops from my hotel. I'm staying at a place my dad recommended, the Salisbury YMCA--and, yes, it *is* fun to stay here. First of all they "upgraded" me to a "standard room" (I had no idea that the room I reserved was below standards), and it is enormous. People had prepared me for closet-sized rooms, Manhattan style, but this room is bif enough that I could do cartwheels in it. If I could do cartwheels, which I don't think I actually can do anymore (might not stop me from trying, though). They gave me shampoo AND conditioner! I haven't uses conditioner in 3 weeks, so it's going to feel so luxurious. There's a flatscreen TV, a big wardrobe (I might even unpack my backpack here), and a minibar! Snacks offered include cashew nuts, Pringles, and instant mashed potatoes with beef. I probably won't use it, but I love the novelty of having one. Oh, and I am obviously going to order room service for breakfast, just because I can. Muahahahahaha. My hotel is also in a great location: I'm around the corner from both Louis Vuitton and Outback Steakhouse! Kidding aside, the location really is great. I'm right on the water and was able to watch the light show this evening just by going across the street. There are restaurants everywhere. I ate at a Japanese place recommended by Lonely Planet (didn't have sushi though--not going to risk getting food poisoning this late in the game). It's busy here and all lit up. There's a distinct seediness alongside the cosmopolitan element though, in a sort of Vegas-y way: yes, that's a Chanel store on the bottom floor, but I'm pretty sure bad things are going on upstairs. Walking down the street mens encountering a barrage of men asking "Miss, you want..." (half the time I don't even listen to hear what they're offering me because I'm pretty sure the answer is no) and women thrusting massage service fliers into my hand. I plan to have a fun-packed day tomorrow, so for now I'm going to take a bubble bath, wash (and condition!) my hair, and, heck, maybe even crack open one of those $22HKD (less than $3 US) beers from the minibar. Might as well enjoy this lifestyle while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment